Here are some quick hits from the Vikings first day of training camp.
- Greg Childs and Nate Williams will start training camp on the PUP [Physically unable to perform] list. Michael Mauti, the 213 overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, has been cleared to practice. Mauti has spent most of the offseason recovering from a torn ACL.
- Former Vikings center Matt Birk addressed the team. Leslie Frazier commented on the terrific job Birk did.
“The fact he’s a part of the most recent Super Bowl winning team and his long history here in Minnesota really resonated with our players and he gave them a very good message regarding seizing this moment that we have and taking advantage of the great opportunity that we have to play for the Minnesota Vikings and coach for the Vikings. He did a terrific job and we’re very fortunate that he would take time away from his family to come in and share with our players.”
- John Sullivan, Adrian Peterson, Jared Allen, and Chad Greenway are all cleared to practice after each of them had surgery for various ailments.
- Frazier commented on how important this season will be for corner Chris Cook.
“With the injuries and some of the other stuff that has happened to keep him from completing a season, he knows the importance of this year, it’s a contract year for him so he has a lot going on. We need his play, he’s been a very good player for us when he’s stayed healthy and been able to stay on the field.”
- Adrian Peterson, who didn’t play in any preseason games last year while recovering from a torn ACL, will get some playing time in the preseason this year, but will be limit in those games to keep him healthy and fresh for the regular season.
- The Vikings and Leslie Frazier have, “big expectations for Christian [Ponder].” Ponder, entering his third season in the league, will need “the guys around him to perform well also.”
- Erin Henderson will be the starting middle linebacker [Mike linebacker] throughout training camp and Frazier plans on keeping it that way. Desmond Bishop, who played middle linebacker with the Green Bay Packers, is currently on the second team with Gerald Hodges and Marvin Mitchell. Bishop will likely play outside linebacker this year.
- Cordarrelle Patterson made the play of the day with a one-handed catch in one-on-one drills. Video Here